Saturday 28 December 2013

Plum Cake

This year on Christmas eve, I took a risk. I didnot go to Nahoum, the famous baker of New Market from where I used to buy plum cake for years. Instead, I have asked one of my office colleague, Michelle Fernandez about her family recipe on Christmas cake and she happily shared the same with me. As per the recipe, I soaked my dry fruits in Rum in advance, and on Christmas Eve, I have tried the plum cake for the first time in my life. What to say, I myself was floored by the taste of it, and I am sure I am not going to buy readymade plum cake anymore. 


Ingreadients


  • Flour - 2 Cups
  • Butter - 100 gms
  • White Oil - 2 tbsp
  • Brown Sugar - 3/4 cup
  • Eggs - 4
  • Baking powder - 1 tsp
  • Baking soda - 1 tsp
  • Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
  • Nutmeg powder 1/2 tsp
  • Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
  • Mixed fruits soaked in rum - 1 1/2 cup

Different types of dry fruits should be soaked in Rum in advance for atleast a week. I could manage for 3 days though. I have soaked equal quantities of  figs, raisins, candied orange peel, walnuts, cashew nuts, dried apricots and almonds.


I have started with 1/4th cup of fruits each and soaked them in 120 ml of Rum for 3 days.


Grease 27 cm round pan with butter and line the bottom and sides with baking paper.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. You need to reduce it to 160 degree later while baking.
Sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda , and the spice powders and keep it aside.
In a large bowl beat sugar, butter and oil using a hand blender till it becomes creamy. Add eggs one by one and beat well after each addition.


Heat 3 tbsp of brown sugar in a bowl over very low heat till it caramelized. Add two tbsp of water to make a smooth caramel and mix with the beaten egg. This is to impart that nice brown color of the plum cake. 
Mix the soaked fruits with the dry ingredients so that fruits are well coated with flour.


Gradually add the fruits and dry ingredients mix to the wet ingredients, beating slowly till everything is incorporated properly. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake at 160 degrees Celsius for 50 minutes.



Check by inserting a fork at the centre. If it is still sticky bake for some more time. Cool it completely on a wire rack before slicing it.


Wish You all Merry Christmas !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...