Monday 28 April 2014

Andhra Style Brinjal Curry

We, the moms and wives have always put our family's food choices the priority while cooking or selecting menus, right?? I do the same and I am happily depriving myself of some simple food items, just because dear hubby and son doesn't like it. So last week, when I saw these cute little baby eggplants, I initially ignored them, since neither hubby, nor my son is fond of brinjals. then I came back, picked up 5-6 cuties just for me and back home made this spicy, tangy eggplant curry just for me!! Enjoyed every bit of it, I must say!!




Ingredients


  • Baby eggplants - 6
  • Onion - 1, sliced
  • Tomato - 1, chopped
  • Green chili - 2 -3
  • Ginger paste - 1 heaped tsp
  • Garlic paste - 1 heaped tsp
  • Coconut powder - 1 heaped tbsp
  • Kashmiri chili powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
  • mustard seeds - a pinch
  • methi/fenugreek seeds - a pinch
  • Dry red chili - 1
  • Curry leaves - 5 -6
  • Salt, turmeric
  • Sugar as per taste

Wash and cut the eggplants in such a way that they are intact near the stem. 



Add salt and turmeric and fry over low heat till they are soft.



Heat some more oil, add the sliced onion and fry till golden brown with a pinch of salt and sugar. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for some time till the raw smell is gone. Add the chopped tomato and green chilli and continue frying till it is mashed.



Add the coriander powder, kashmiri chilli powder, salt and coconut powder and fry over low flame.


Now allow it to cool and make a fine paste using a blender.



Add 1 tbsp of oil in a clean pan, then add the mustard seeds, methi seeds, curry leaves and dry red chili. 



Add the ground masala and fry quickly. Then add half cup of warm water and mix well. I have added a pinch of sugar at this point. Adjust the seasoning too.



Cook over low heat till oil starts appearing at the top. Add the fried eggplant and mix carefully with the masala. Eggplant should not get mashed.



Remove from heat and keep covered for 10 - 15 minutes more. Serve with rice or roti. Yum!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...